i have been really impressed with riley’s new vet. i switched in the fall of last year because after we moved, our old vet’s location would have been a logistical nightmare, and i didn’t love her anyway.
i spoke to him on the phone this morning and he explained the inconclusive results from the blood test riley had last week for possible ovarian remnant syndrome [not as serious as it sounds — it’s basically a botched spay job, leaving portions of the lady parts intact, which leads to exactly the symptoms you’d guess]. we decided on the next steps and i went on with my day.
he called me again this afternoon and said that after he saw riley last week, he brought up her case with a group of veterinarians that specialize in animal reproductive systems to get additional advice, since her symptoms and data are a bit convoluted at this point. they discussed it today and one of the colleagues explained her method for reaching a diagnosis [or not] in the past that tends to be more definitive than the additional blood testing we were going to do.
he explained her idea to me, why he agreed with it, and what the process would be if i wanted to go that route. it made a lot of sense to me, and even though it might involve getting some samples and making cytology slides at home [!], i am on board. and he is staying late today so that i can bring riley in after work to get started.
i really appreciated him going the extra mile to put some thought into her case and seek advice from those more experienced. i’d love to get this all figured out and it’s nice to have riley’s vet be pro-active to help that happen for us.
[we go to southpoint animal hospital, if you’re local and looking for a good vet. so far, the whole staff has been wonderful]